Harvey B. Gaul Edit Profile
Studied with George F. Lejeune (New York), Alfred R. Gaul (Birmingham, England), Doctor Armes (Durham, England). Schola Cantorium and Paris Conservatory with Guilmant, Widor, Decaux and D’Indy. With Mons. Bella of Sistine Chapel Choir and Mons.
Rienzi of St. Peter’s (Rome). Honorary Doctor Museum, University of Pittsburgh, 1933.
Associate organist, Saint John’s Chapel, New York City, 1899. Organist Emmanuel Church, Cleveland, 1901-1909, Calvary Church, Pittsburgh, since 1910. Formerly member of faculty, University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Institute Technology, Washington and Jefferson University.
Conductor Singers Club, Cleveland, O., 1924-1926. Pittsburgh Apollo Male Chorus, 1925-1930, Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce Chorus, 1925-1929. Conductor of Y.M.&W.H.A. Choral Society, 1925-1942.
Conductor Civic String Orchestra since 1936. Member of faculty Fillion Studio of Music since 1931. Music critic Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 1914-1934, editor of music, art, drama and book department, 1929-1934.
Feature editor Museum Forecast since 1934. Director Savoyard Opera Company since 1939.
Member of faculty Fillion Studio of Music since 1931. Member American Guild Organists, Musicians’.
Married Harriette Avery, a writer, June 13, 1908. Children: James Harvey and Ione Avery (Mistress Hudson D. Walker).