Doctor of Philosophy, University Göttingen, Federal Republic Germany, 1935.
Scientific assistant, department head Kaiser-Wilhelm Institute for Medical Research, Heidelberg, Federal Republic Germany, 1935-1952. From lecturer to adjunct professor University Heidelburg, 1942. Professor technical physics Technology University, Munich, 1952-1979.
Co-founder, director Institute Laue-Langevin, Grenoble, France, 1967-1972. President German National Research Foundation, 1974-1979. Professor emeritus Technology University, Munich, since 1979.
President International Union of Pure and Applied Physics, 1972-1975. Vice president Alexander-von-Humboldt Foundation, 1974-1979. Chancellor of the Order of Mérite, 1979-1984.
Member Bavarian Academy of Sciences, Science Society Uppsala, Flemish Academy of Sciences, Heidelberg Academy of Sciences, Finnish Academy of Technology Sciences, Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Leopoldina Halle, Academy des Sciences Paris, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Indian Academy of Sciences.
Married Rita Lepper, August 26, 1937 (deceased 1971). Children: Christine, Dorothee, Elisabeth. Married Elisabeth Noelle-Neumann, December 28, 1979.