Henry U. Johnson Edit Profile
Born in Cambridge City, Indiana, Johnson attended the Centerville Collegiate Institute and Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana. He studied law.
He was admitted to the bar in 1872 and commenced practice in Centerville, Indiana. He moved to Richmond, Indiana, in 1876 and continued the practice of his profession. He served as prosecuting attorney of Wayne County 1876-1880.
Johnson was elected as a Republican to the Fifty-second and to the three succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1891-March 3, 1899). He served as chairman of the Committee on Elections No. 2 (Fifty-fourth and Fifty-fifth Congresses).
He was not a candidate for renomination in 1898. He was affiliated with the Democratic Party upon the expiration of his congressional career. He moved to St. Louis, Missouri, in 1899 and continued the practice of law until 1900 when he returned to Richmond, Indiana, to resume his former law practice.
He died in Richmond, Indiana, June 4, 1939. He was interred in Earlham Cemetery.
He served as member of the Indiana State Senate 1887-1889.