With the help of a local patron he studied in Paris, first at the Gobelins school for apprentices, followed by training in the atelier of Charles Gumery, and in 1864 he was admitted to the École des Beaux-Arts.
The following year his work was accepted at the Paris Salon where he exhibited annually until his death, although after winning medals in the Salons of 1868, 1870, and 1873, he exhibited hors de concours (out of competition). His first major success came in 1876 with a marble sculpture of Saint Sebastien, which led to commissions from the City of Paris, and the cathedrals of Marseille and Nevers. He was made a Chevalier de la Légion d"honneur in 1878.
Following his funeral at the Église Notre-Dame-des-Champs, he was buried in Montparnasse Cemetery.