College of William & Mary.
Jeremiah began his studies at The College of William & Mary in Virginia. After serving in the War of 1812, during which he rose to the rank of major, he returned to Virginia to study law. He was admitted to the Virginia bar in 1816.
Believing that there was more opportunity in the newly opened West, he ventured out to Louisville, Kentucky.
On his way, he was told of the opportunities offered by Madison, Indiana, a new and growing town on the banks of the Ohio River. He helped found nearby Hanover College and the Indiana Historical Society.
Jeremiah Sullivan’s public career was immediately successful. While in the General Assembly, he gave Indianapolis its name.
In 1869, a criminal court was created for Jefferson County, and he was appointed judge.
Judge Sullivan"s house, the Jeremiah Sullivan House, in Madison, is acknowledged to have been the first brick mansion built in the Northwest Territory. lieutenant is now on tour and is a component of the Madison Historic District.
Jonathan Jennings, the first Governor of Indiana, quickly appointed him prosecuting attorney in Madison and within three years of his arrival he was elected a member of the state legislature. He was a member of the Supreme Court of Indiana from 1836 to 1846.