He studied medicine with Dr. Fitch and Dr. Matthias Spalding of Greenfield, nearby, and in 1807 obtained a license to practise from the State Medical Society, at the subsequent meetings of which he was prominent as a speaker.
He practised first in Charlestown, but soon wearied of practise in a small village and moved to Pittsfield, Massachussets, thence to Utica, and finally to New York City. During these wandering years he obtained a medical degree at Harvard, with a thesis on The Disease of the Heart Styled Aneurism. Once settled in New York, he became noted as a surgeon and was elected lecturer on anatomy and surgery at Castleton, and at the Berkshire Institute in Massachusetts.
He wrote distinguished medical papers on cholera and paralysis and surgical papers on tracheotomy and fractures. He was a first-rate operator, cutting for stone, and removing cataracts by extraction rather than by couching. He was clever as an inventor and improver of surgical instruments and his last gift to the profession was a one-handed craniotome in place of the former clumsy instruments used with two. He died in New York City at the age of eighty-three.