John Allworth Clark was a wool importer and merchant tailor. John Allworth Clark was an alderman representing the North Ward of the Brisbane Municipal Council from 1889 to 1898. He was mayor in 1891.
He served on the following committees:
Finance Committee 1889, 1892, 1894, 1896
Health Committee 1889, 1891, 1893, 1895, 1897-1898
Works Committee 1890, 1891, 1893, 1895, 1897, 1898
Legislative Committee 1890, 1892, 1894, 1896
Street Lighting Committee 1891, 1892
Served on Parks Committee 1897, 1898
In 1887 he was appointed secretary of the Anti-Chinese League.
From 1892, he was an active promoter of Bowkett Societies, which were non-profit building societies that provided interest-free loans to their members. In 1893, the Brisbane River had a major flood and Clark was chairman of the Flood Relief Committee, which collected and distributed financial aid to the flood victims.
From 1893 to at least 1898 he was chairman of the Metropolitan Transit Commission. In 1894 Clark proposed that women should be allowed to serve as aldermen in the Brisbane Municipal Council.
Later after the family had moved to Sydney, Clark was also an alderman of the Petersham Municipal Council in Sydney in 1914, 1920 & 1922 representing the South Kingston ward.
Clark Lane (which runs between Queen Street and Anne Street in the Petrie Bight area of Brisbane) is named after John Allworth Clark. The lane was originally the northern end of Eagle Street, which commenced at Creek Street (as it still does today), ran along the river at Petrie Bight (now Queen Street) to the intersection with Adelaide Street and then north towards Ann Street (now Clark Lane). John Allworth Clark had one of his business premises on the intersection where Clark Lane converges with Adelaide and Queen Streets.
He was a long-time staunch supporter of the temperance movement and a member of temperance organisations such as the Blue Ribbon Association. He was a founding member of the board of the Victoria Bridge, Brisbane after its reconstruction in 1897.