He was educated at Winchester and Brasenose College, Oxford.
He then embarked on an ecclesiastical career with a curacy at Great Yarmouth, after which he held incumbencies at Bramley, Leeds, 1871-1876, and at Leeds Parish Church, where he also founded the Leeds Clergy School. His last post, before his ordination to the episcopate, was as Dean of Worcester from 1886. In 1891, Gott succeeded to the see of Truro on the resignation of George Howard Wilkinson.
He was consecrated at Street Paul"s Cathedral on 29 September 1891.
He saw in 1903 the completion of Truro Cathedral. Founded a bishop"s clergy fund for the aid of clergy in time of ill-health or other necessity.
And diligently visited all parts of his diocese. A high churchman, but not a strong partisan, he signed in January 1901 the bishops" letter inviting clergy to accept the positions defined in the Lambeth "Opinions."
He died suddenly at his residence, Trenython, near Par, on 21 July 1906 and was buried at Tywardreath.