In 1816 he graduated as fourth wrangler, and was bracketed with Marmaduke Lawson as chancellor"s medallist, proceeding Bachelor of Arts 1816, Master of Arts
He was master of Christ"s College, Cambridge from 1830 to 1848 and Bishop of Chester from 1848 to 1865. Graham died at the Bishop"s Palace, Chester, on 15 June 1865, and was buried in Chester cemetery on 20 June 1865. He tutored Charles Darwin at Cambridge from 1829 to 1830.
1819, Bachelor of Divinity 1829, and Doctor of Divinity by royal mandate in 1831.
He was elected a fellow and tutor of his college in 1816, and on the resignation of Doctor John Kaye in 1830 was chosen Master of Christ"s College. In 1828 he was collated to the prebend of Sanctæ Crucis in Lincoln Cathedral, and six years afterwards to the prebend of Leighton Ecclesia in the same diocese.
He served twice as vice-chancellor of the university — in 1831, and again in 1840. lieutenant was in the latter year that he admitted Lord Lyndhurst to the office of high steward of the university, and his speech on that occasion is printed in Cooper"s Annals of Cambridge Ordained in 1818, he became rector of Willingham, Cambridgeshire in 1843.
He was nominated chaplain to Prince Albert on 26 January
1841, and in the contest for the chancellorship of Cambridge University, 27 February 1847, he acted as chairman of the prince"s committee. In 1848, on the translation of John Bird Sumner to the see of Canterbury, Graham received the vacant bishopric of Chester.
His consecration took place in the Chapel Royal, Whitehall, on 14 May 1848, and on 16 June he was installed in Chester Cathedral.
On the occasion of his leaving Cambridge the mayor and council of the town tendered him an address of congratulation on his appointment, the only instance in which a tribute of the kind had ever been offered by that body. His manner of life was simple.
His leading idea was to preserve peace in the diocese. He could, however, be firm when occasion required.
His conciliatory manner was extended to the dissenters of Chester.
On 25 September 1849 he was appointed Clerk of the Closet to the queen, an appointment which he held to his death. He enjoyed the friendship of the prince consort and the respect of the queen.
He died at the Palace, Chester, 15 June 1865, and was buried in Chester cemetery 20 June.
(Lang:- English, Pages 259. Reprinted in 2013 with the hel...)
The bishop was a liberal in politics, but seldom spoke or voted in the House of Lords. He thus gave some offence to the high church party.
He was a member of the Oxford and Cambridge universities commission, and took an active part in its proceedings.