John Hutchison was a Scottish sculptor based in Edinburgh.
He was born in Laurieston, in north-west Edinburgh.
He studied at the Edinburgh School of Applied Art 1894-1895, when already an established sculptor.
His most notable public work is the bust of Sir Walter Scott in Poets’ Corner in Westminster Abbey. He lived worked and died in Edinburgh. However his apprenticeship was served in Hospitalfield, Arbroath 1849 to 1853 under James Christie alongside Robert Scott Lauder.
He exhibited in the Royal Scottish Academy from 1862 until 1902.
He acted as Librarian to the Republic of South Africa from 1877- 1886 and as Honorary Treasurer from 1886 – 1907. He contributed three stone figures to the Scott Monument on Princes Street: Baron Bradwardine, The Glee Maiden and Flora MacIvor.
His sculpture yard stood at 3 Torphicen Place in Edinburgh"s West End, and he lived with his family in a large Victorian flat at 19 Manor Place, slightly to the north of his studio.