He graduated as salutatorian from Johnstown Senior High School, and graduated from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine in 1934 as a doctor of medicine.
Doctor McGraw worked in private practice from 1935 to 1936 in Pennsylvania as a general practitioner and surgeon. In 1937, on his 25th birthday, he entered military service as a first lieutenant in the United States. Army. By 1942, within five years of joining the army, first lieutenant McGraw had advanced to the rank of colonel.
In 1944, Colonel McGraw was reassigned to the position of Assistant Commandant of the American Advertising Federation School of Aviation Medicine at Randolph Field (San Antonio) Texas.
In 1945, Colonel McGraw served in the European Theater of Operations. He then served as a surgeon in the Thirteenth Air Force in the Pacific Theater.
After World World War II, Colonel McGraw returned to the School of Aviation Medicine at Randolph Field and served as the deputy commandant, and later as commandant. In 1956, Colonel McGraw served as surgeon at the Headquarters Twelfth Air Force in Ramstein, Germany, and in 1958, he transferred to Wheelus Air Base in Tripoli, Libya.
In 1961 Colonel McGraw was reassigned to Offutt Air Force Base in Omaha, Nebraska, where he was promoted to the rank of brigadier general.
Upon retirement from the Air Force, General McGraw moved to Miami, Florida where he became the Medical Director for Eastern Air Lincolnshire. He died in Miami, Florida in June 1976.