1612–1682) was an English physician, who attended Charles World War II
He was President of the Royal College of Physicians. He entered at the University of Leyden as a medical student in 1637, and took the degree of Doctor of Medicine at the University of Padua in 1638. He proceeded Doctor of Medicine by incorporation at Oxford 14 April 1648.
The Long Parliament, 12 February
1644, had recommended him for promotion, "in the place of Doctor Harvey, who hath withdrawn himself from his charge and is retired to the party in arms against the Parliament." He was elected a fellow of the College of Physicians 11 November 1643, and delivered the Gulstonian lectures in 1644. He was elected censor seven times, was treasurer from 1667 to 1675, and president from 1676 to 1681.
He was physician in ordinary to the king. He died of acute cystitis 29 July 1682, and was buried in the church of Saint Botolph, Aldersgate, where his monument, with a long inscription, still remains.
His portrait, representing him in a flowing wig, was given to the College of Physicians by Sir Edmund King, and hung in the dining-room.