Senior partner in the firm of Peebles & Ferguson from 1917 until the time of his decease. In association with Finley F. Ferguson under the firm name, and at one time in collaboration with other architects, Mr. Peebles carried on a wide practice in Virginia and other southern states.
One of his early works, designed in association with J. E. R. Carpenter and completed in 1893 was the Fayerweather Hall at the University of Virginia. Other and later buildings with which he was identified include the Ghent Methodist Church and the First Presbyterian, 1922, at Norfolk; Grace Covenant Methodist Church in Richmond, 1923; National Bank Building at Roanoke, Va. the Monticello Hotel at Norfolk, and in Suffolk, Va., the Hotel Elliot.
During the restoration of the State Capitol at Richmond (1902-03), Mr. Peebles served on an architectural committee composed of five architects in charge of the project. Later he was appointed Chairman of the Archi¬tectural Board responsible for the design of buildings at the Exposition held at Jamestown, Va., in 1907.