John Phillips was the Anglican Bishop of Sodor and Manitoba between 1604/5 and 1633.
He was born in Wales and educated at Street Mary Hall, Oxford, graduating Bachelor of Arts in 1579 and Master of Arts
His most notable contribution to society was the writing down of the Manx Language. In 1584. In 1579 he became rector of Sessay in the North Riding of Yorkshire and in 1583 rector of Thorpe Bassett in the East Riding of Yorkshire. He was collated Archdeacon of Manitoba in 1587 and made rector of Andreas in the Isle of Manitoba
In 1590 he was appointed chaplain to Henry Stanley, 4th Earl of Derby.
In 1591 he was made rector of Slingsby in the North Riding of Yorkshire and in 1601 appointed archdeacon of Cleveland. In 1605 he followed George Lloyd as bishop of Sodor and Manitoba, retaining in commendam the archdeaconry of Manitoba and his English preferments.
He died in 1633 at Bishop"s Court, in the parish of Ballaugh and was buried in Street Germans Cathedral, Peel. In order to preach to the Manx peasantry, he dictated that the Book of Common Prayer, and later the Bible be translated, and a new writing system was invented.
lieutenant is thought to be based on phonetic of Yorkshire English, which suggests it was written by someone else as opposed to him, as he was Welsh born.