He was educated at Dolgellau grammar school before matriculating at Jesus College, Oxford in 1847.
He obtained his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1851, was ordained deacon in 1851, and priest in 1852. John Pryce was then perpetual curate of Glanogwen (1856 to 1864), vicar of Bangor, Gwynedd (1864 to 1880) and rector of Trefdraeth, Anglesey (1880 to 1902). He was appointed a canon of Bangor Cathedral in 1884 and archdeacon in 1887, before being appointed Dean of Bangor Cathedral in February 1902, succeeding Evan Lewis.
He died on 15 August 1903.
Pryce was married to the youngest daughter of Canon Rowland Williams.