Colonel John Reyly was elected Knight of the Shire or Member of Parliament
He was the eldest son of Maelmora (Myles) O"Reilly and Catherine O"Reilly, daughter of Colonel Charles O"Reilly of Leitrim.
Foreign the County of Cavan, in the Parliament held in Dublin on 7 May 1689. He seems to have been the first of the O"Reilly clan to have dropped the prefix "O" before the surname. He was described in 1713 as being formerly of Clonlyn, County Cavan, but as of then of Ballymacadd, County Meath and of Garryrocock, County Cavan.
The sons were, 1.
Captain Conor, who died without issue in May, 1723. 2. Myles Reilly, of the city of Dublin, merchant. 3. Brian Reilly; 4. Luke Reilly.
Conor Reilly. He died on 17 February 1717, and is buried in the old church of Kill, in the parish of Crossarlogh, barony of Castlerahin, County Cavan, in a tomb bearing his family arms, which was still in good preservation in 1836. Colonel Reyly raised a regiment of dragoons at his own expense for the service of King James II of England, and assisted at the Siege of Derry in 1689. He had two engagements with Colonel Wolsley, the commander of the garrison of Belturbet, whom he signally defeated.
He fought at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690 and the Battle of Aughrim in 1691.
He was included in the articles of Treaty of Limerick of 1691, whereby he preserved his property, and was allowed to carry arms. According to An alphabetical List of the Names of such Persons of the Popish Religion, within the Kingdom of Ireland, who have Licenses to carry Arms, printed by Andrew Croke, printer to the Queen"s most excellent Majesty, in Copper Alley, Dublin, 1713, it appears that Lieutenant-Colonel John Ryley, late of Clonlyn, in the county of Cavan, now of Ballymacadd, in the county of Meath, and Garryrocock, in the county of Cavan, had license to carry "1 sword, 1 case of pistols, and 1 gunn".