John Robertson was a Scottish-born pastoralist in Australia, remembered today for his mansion Struan House, south of Naracoorte, South Australia.
Robertson was born in 1808 or 1809 in Dunachton, Invernesshire, the son of John Robertson and Mary "May" Robertson (née McBain).
lieutenant was around then he acquired the nickname "Poorman Robertson", perhaps from his appearance which contrasted sharply with that of Henty, a rival landholder in Portland, Victoria. William settled on another of their properties Wando Vale, and John moved to Mosquito Creek near Naracoorte, on an area variously known as Mosquito Plains and Robertsons Plains, where he built a succession of three homes, culminating in the magnificent Struan House in 1875. He purchased further land at Wrattonbully and Elderslie, totalling over 500,000 ha.
Struan House and some 500ha of its original property is now owned by South Australian Department of Agriculture as its regional headquarters.
John Robertson married Susan Ann Tait Cetwill Fraser or Frazer from Inverness at Portland, Victoria in 1855. They had nine children.