High Sheriff of Staffordshire.
The bank was established at Cheapside, London in 1788. Salt became a partner in the bank, which in 1801 was renamed Stevenson and Salt. In 1867 it merged with Bosanquet & Company and later with Lloyds Banking Company.
He owned estates at Weeping Cross, Stafford where in 1813 he built the White House, and at Standon Hall, Staffordshire.
He served as High Sheriff of Staffordshire in 1838. Thomas Salt (b 1791) his heir, who replaced the White House with a new mansion, Baswich House, built in 1850 (and demolished in March 2009).
Member of Parliament. William Salt (1808–1863), banker and antiquarian, after whom the William Salt Library at Stafford is named. Rev Joseph Salt (1810–1862), Rector of Standon, Staffordshire from 1845.