(Built 1895 to a design by John C. Spofford, it is one of ...)
Built 1895 to a design by John C. Spofford, it is one of the downtown's few granite commercial buildings, built for Peleg O. Vickery, a leading publisher and three-term mayor of the city. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Spofford was invited to become a partner in the new firm (Brigham & Spofford), and through a period of nearly twenty years he carried on work in that association. Both partners are able and talented architects, fully conversant with every detail of the profession. Proofs of their skill are numerous throughout Boston and its vicinity, as embodied in the various splendid edifices they have erected in the last few years, which are much admired by experts, for their stability, elegance, and elaboration of detail. Comprising the works of the firm were several public buildings in Boston and other cities, such as the Memorial Hall at Belfast, Maine; Public Library and Town Hall, Fairhaven, Mass., City Hall, Lewiston, Maine; Presbyterian church at Roxbury (Boston), and numerous residences in various locations.
Practicing alone after 1892 Mr. Spofford designed the City Hall at Bangor, Maine, Masonic Hall in Augusta, and a number of buildings in Lewiston. At the same time he did considerable work in Boston and vicinity.