Arriving in Boston during the mid-fifties, he entered the office of Gridley Bryant, a prominent architect in the city at that time. During the early seventies he termined assoclation to join Charles Brigham in organizing the firm of which he remained the head through his remaining years. One of the partners early works in Boston was the first two sections of the Museum of Bine Arts in Copley Square (now site of the Copley Square Hotel). Later he incorporated brick and stone in the interior finish of the Church of the Advent in Boston (a noted work of the firm) an innovation that received generally favorable comment. Sturgis & Brigham also planned a number of commercial buildings in Boston, together with many private homes in the Back Bay section of the city.
An early member, and former Vice-president of the Boston Society of Architects. Mr. Sturgis continued in practice until 1886, when he withdrew from the firm.