After two years of teaching physics at the Tbilisi Railroad Institute, he did a Doctor of Philosophy at the Leningrad Physico-Technical Institute in Saint St. Petersburg, advised by Yakov Frenkel.
After working at the theory division the same place (1949-1955) he moved to Institute for Theoretical and Experimental Physics in Moscow, where he founded the Elementary Particle Physics chair of the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and the Laboratory of Hadron Physics. Among his students were Vladimir Gribov, Alexey Andreevich Anselm, Alexander Polyakov, Arkady Migdal, Alexander Zamolodchikov, Alexey Kaidalov. Also, he organized schools and conferences in Nor-Hamberd of Yerevan in Armenia.
Russian Academy of Sciences.