1925 graduated Philosophy Faculty, Tartu University.
1925-1926 grant research student, 1927-1930 instructor, Tartu University. 1930-1937 Acting Professor, in the archeology of Estonia and neighboring countries. 1940 Dean, Philosophy Faculty, Tartu University.
1940-1941 Estonia Deputy Minister of Education but simultaneously retained his Chair of Archeology at Tartu University. 1942-1944 Acting Director, Tallinn History Museum. 1944-1950 Professor, and Head, 1948-1949 Dean, History, and Philology Faculty, Tartu University.
Since 1947 Head, Archeology Section, Institute of History, Estonia Academy of Sciences. 1947 lectured in Sweden. 1958 attended International Congress of Archeologists, Hamburg.