Briggs first opened his office in 1896, but closed it when he became a partner with Frost, Briggs & Chamberlain in 1899. With that firm, he contributed to the design of such landmarks as the Slater Building and Worcester Technical High School. He left in 1912 to form his own firm, the Lucius West. Briggs Company.
The firm continued in business past Briggs" death, at least until 1954.