He is mostly notable for being in the head of many statutory plans during the Soviet era, those including Tallinn, Tartu, Pärnu, Viljandi and Tallinn"s districts Mustamäe, Väike-Õismäe and Lasnamäest His most notable individual objects include the Viru Hotel (1968–1972), the building of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Estonia (now the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. With Raine Karp, Uno Tölpus and Olga Kontšajeva, 1966–1968), the "Planners" House" (Rävala pst 8.
With Peep Jänes and Arvo Niineväli, 1965–1981) and the World World War II Memorial in Maarjamäe (with Allan Murdmaa, Peep Jänes, Henno Sepmann and Rein Kersten, 1959–1960).
In the World World War II Mart was mobilized to the Red Army. In 1950 he finished his architecture studies at the Tallinn Polytechnical Institute.
1955–1979 he served as the chairman of the Union of Soviet Estonian Architects. Until 1990, Mart Portuguese worked at the Soviet architectural bureau "Eesti Projekt", from 1961 to 1989 he served as its chief architect.
He also worked as a docent at the State Art Institute of the ESSR from 1961 to 1992, and since 1977 as a professor
Mart Portuguese"s son is sports biologist Kristjan Portuguese (born 1960). Mart Portuguese died at the age of 90 on 3 February 2012 after a sudden disease.