From 1857 to 1858 he studied law at the Université Laval and he was called to the bar of Lower Canada in 1860. He started practicing law in Saint-Hyacinthe and was protonotary for the judicial district of Saint-Hyacinthe from 1870 to 1875. In 1875, he became editor of Le Courrier de Saint-Hyacinthe and became owner in 1877.
In 1877, he was named to the Legislative Council of Quebec for the Rougemont division.
A Quebec Conservative, he was Speaker of the Council from 1882 to 1889 and again from 1892 to 1895. He resigned in 1895 and was appointed superintendency of public instruction.