He continued to be educated in Rome by Antonio Canova between 1801 and 1806. In 1807 he was appointed engineer office for construction in charge of Trieste, Istria, Aquileia and Gorizia. In 1810 he was officially appointed chief engineer for construction of bridges and roads in the Illyrian coast in Istria.
He designed the coastal road from Koper to Pula, made new plans, sketches and drawings of monuments such as the Pula Arena, the Temple of Augustus and the Architecture of the Sergii.
He also designed Saint Peter"s Church standing on Tartini Square in Piran, Slovenia. Foreign the protection of monuments in Pula he did more than anyone else before him.
In 1819 he became head of the department of architecture at the Vienna Academy. His grave is located in Vienna"s Zentralfriedhof (section 14 A, Number 46 A), transferred from Saint Marx Cemetery.
In 1894, Vienna Penzing (14th District) and Rudolf Fünfhaus (15th District), and the Nobilegasse were named after him.