He was ordained deacon on June 18, 1848, and priest on January 5, 1851. They had two daughters, Mary and Nellie. Although some other clergymen fled the city, he stayed and ministered to the sick and buried the dead, until he came down with cholera himself.
He was consecrated Missionary Bishop of Nebraska and Dakota on November 15, 1865.
He received an Doctor of Laws from the University of Nebraska in 1872. He helped establish the first Christian missions to the Ponca Indians.
This Late Gothic Revival cathedral was consecrated on November 15, 1883, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.