He was born in Inverness, Scotland, and moved to Montreal in 1885.
The Sun Life company left this building for its current location in 1913. He designed several mansions in the Golden Square Mile and a number of other large private houses in Westmount, including Westmount City Hall. Among his private clients he included four of the Molson family.
Robert Wilson Reford.
Forest Engineer Meredith; Charles Meredith. J.K.L. Ross; Sir Edward Beatty.
Charles Francis Smithers. Associate of Arts Bronfman and Sir Mortimer Davis.
Many of the Golden Square Mile homes he designed were later purchased by McGill University, including the Sir Mortimer Davis House (now Purvis Hall).
He was also responsible for Mull Hall (1916), (later known as Stewart Hall) on Lakeshore Road, and for the Hallward House (1925) on Mountain Street, later known as Martlet House, but not to be confused with the Martlet House on Peel Street, built by David Spence in 1928.