He was born at Windsor to settler Richard Fitzgerald and Mary Ford.
He inherited livestock in 1828 and was granted land at Rylstone in 1830. He later acquired further land on the Liverpool Plains in 1832 and at Yarraman in 1835 before inheriting his father"s large estate in 1840. In addition he owned tracts of land in Bligh County and around the Gwydir River, as well as significant real estate in Sydney.
In 1840 he was director of the Bank of New South Wales.
He served in the first reconstituted Council from 1856 to 1861 and again in the second from 1861 until his death at Darlinghurst in 1865.
He served on Windsor District Council, and was an elected member of the New South Wales Legislative Council from 1849 to 1856.