Robert Fullerton (born Edin, Scotland 1773. Doctorate Lon 1831) was a Governor of Penang and also the first Governor of Straits Settlements, appointed by the Colonial Office, London. He died in 1831 in London, England.
According to Prinsep (1885), his career progression is as follows:
1789 - Writer
1790 - Assistant under the Military Secretary
1791 - Assistant at Masulipatam
1797 - Deputy Commercial Resident at the Presidencey
1798 - Deputy Commercial Resident at Ingeram
1802 - Commercial Resident at Ingeram
1805 - General Agent for Managing the Monopoly and Sale of Salt
1806 - Third Judge at the Provincial Court, Northern Division
1812 - Superintendent of Government Lotteries
Died in 1830.
Robert Fullerton received his original appointment on 4 February 1824 and was Governor of Prince of Wales Isle from 20 August 1824 to 1826 after which he became the Governor of the newly incorporated Straits Settlements of Singapore (including Christmas Island and the Cocos-Keeling group), Penang (including Province Wellesley), and Malacca under the British administration in India. The Governor of the Straits Settlements was assisted by three Resident Councillors.
The Resident Councillor of Penang, the Resident Councillor of Malacca and the Resident Councillor of Singapore. Robert Fullerton became the first Governor of the Straits Settlements, based in Penang, and served in that capacity from November 27, 1826 to November 12, 1829.
The departure of the last Governor is also recorded in the Gazette.
The issue of 29 August 1829 carries the following notification:
"The Honorable the Governor, being about to proceed to Singapore and Malacca, NOTICE is hereby given that this station will cease to be the seat of Government from the date of his departure, and the charge of the settlement will devolve upon the Honorable Robert Ibbetson, Resident Councillor. To whom all local references will be made."
He is credited with the creation of the Municipal system in the Straits Settlements - Buckley stated that the first trace of subsequent Municipalities can be traced to 1827. Fullerton, with the sanction of the Court of Directors and Board of Control, regulated for the appointment of "The Committee of Assessors," for the purposes of ensuring the streets of Penang were cleared, watched and kept in repair.
1809 - Third Member of the Board of Trade, and General Superintendent of Investments
1814 - Second Member of Council, and President of the Board of Trade.