He was a Lecturer at Ordsall Hall, Manchester then Vice-Principal of Salisbury Theological College. After this he was Principal of Clergy House, Wimbledon until 1909. He then held a similar post at the Diocesan High School for Europeans in Rangoon until 1914 when he became Vicar of Broadstone, Dorset.
In 1921 he became Professor of Divinity at Bishop"s University, Lennoxville.
From 1926 to 1940 he was Bishop of Algoma. Returning to England he was Rector of Lapford until his retirement in 1952.