He was educated at Wolaroi College and from 1903 at Newington College.
After school, Morell worked for Goldsbrough Mort & Company and owned Tullochard out of Inverell, New South Wales. On 17 September 1914, Morell enlisted as a sergeant in the 6th Light Horse Regiment, A Squadron, and embarked from Sydney on 21 December 1914. He served in the Gallipoli Campaign.
He was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant in August 1915, Lieutenant in October 1915, Captain in March 1916 and Major in March 1917.
Morell returned to Australia on 6 May 1919 and was discharged on 3 July 1919. He volunteered again in the Second World War and as a Lieutenant Colonel was second-in-command in Sydney for Australian Army Movement Control.
In 1936, Morell sold his rural interests and moved to Sydney becoming a sole trader on the Sydney Stock Exchange. Morell was a director of Sydney Hospital and Honorary Teasurer of Fairbridge Farm Schools of NSW. Foreign 23 years he was Honorary Treasurer of the Royal Agricultural Society of New South Wales.
Morell became a member of the 5th Machine Gun Battalion and served in France. He was a member of the Stock Exchange committee in 1942, 1946 and 1947.