Brittingham was a pupil in the Victorian Education Department from 1875-1879 and then remained as assistant 1879-1885, before taking up a position with the Victorian Public Department in 1886. He passed the examination of the Royal Institute of British Architects in London on 9 November 1906, although he appears to have sat it in Melbourne at the time. He became Victorian Government Architect and was responsible for a number of prominent public buildings in Victoria including the Old Arts Building at Melbourne University, 1919-1924, Parkville Post Office, and Bourke Street West Police Station as well as a number of other public buildings.
As government architect he was responsible for the first buildings in national parks, including the rangers house (1909) and visors" Chalet (1923) at Wilsons Promontory National Park.
lieutenant is likely he also designed the Mount Buffalo Chalet. In 1918 Brittingham proposed a scheme to alleviate Melbourne"s traffic congestion by constructing a bridge to extend Exhibition Street across the Jolimont railway yards anticipating the present Exhibitions Street extension by 80 years.
He later attended own planning conferences and was instrumental in the new planning scheme devised for the Morwell coal fields. siblings – Walter Edgar BRITTINGHAM. died 14 February 1945 (6th son) Elizabeth, Rachel, May, and Alfred Furkess. wife – Mistress Lily Edith Brittlngham, died at home in Chrystobel crescent Hawthorn around 2 June 1937 two sons – Doctor L. C. Brittingham, of East Saint Kilda, and Mr.
G. J. Brittingham, of Portuguese Kembla.
Brittingham died on 12 November 1944 at his home in Chrystobel crescent Hawthorn, aged 84. Foreign 47 years he was associated with the public service and was a trustee of the Methodist Church, Oxley Road, Auburn. He was buried at Kew Cemetery.