In 1900, he graduated from Saint St. Petersburg University and found work at the St. Petersburg Margarine Factory.
Starting in 1902, Lebedev moved from university to university in Russia, starting at the Saint-St. Petersburg Institute for Railroad Engineering. In 1904, he returned to Saint St. Petersburg University to work under Alexei Yevgrafovich Favorskii, (Russian: Алексей Евграфович Фаворский. (Pavlovo, in the Nizhny Novgorod Oblast, 20 February 1860.
Leningrad 8 August 1945), Stalin Prize, 1941, for contributions to the manufacture of synthetic rubber.
In 1915, Lebedev was appointed Professor at the Women"s Pedagogical Institute in Saint St. Petersburg. After 1916, he was a Professor of Saint St. Petersburg Academy for Military Medicine.
In 1925, he became the leader of the Oil Laboratory (after 1928, the Laboratory of Synthetic Resins) at Saint St. Petersburg University. He died in Leningrad and is interred in Tikhvin Cemetery.
Russian Academy of Sciences. Academy of Sciences of the Union of the Soviet Socialist Republics]
In 1932, Lebedev became a full member of Academy of Science of the Union of the Soviet Socialist Republics.