Bachelor in Art and English, St. Mary-of-the-Woods College, 1950. Master of Arts in Art History, Columbia University, 1952. Doctor of Philosophy in Art History, Columbia University, 1961.
Elementary school teacher, Omaha Public Schools, 1952-1953; art teacher, Omaha Public Schools, 1953-1956; from instructor to assistant professor, Smith College, Northampton, Massachusetts, 1961-1965; from assistant professor to professor, Wells College, Aurora, New York, 1965-1989; professor emeritus, Wells College, Aurora, New York, since 1989; curator art collection, Wells College, Aurora, New York, 1989-1992.
President, trustee Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center, Auburn, New York, 1989-1995. Member Cayuga County Catholic School Board, Auburn, 1992-1994. Chair Community Preservation Panel, Aurora, 1993-1998, village historian, since 1998.
Member College Art Association, International Center of Medieval Art, Early Book Society.