University of Toronto. Trinity College.
After attending Trinity College School in Portuguese Hope, he entered the Royal Military College of Canada, Kingston, Ontario, in 1884. In December 1887 he was gazetted an inspector. He transferred to the Mounted Infantry in 1889.
He eventually took a commission with the Royal Canadian Dragoons in 1893.
In 1899 he went to South Africa, serving as a major and lieutenant-colonel in command of "B" Squadron of the Canadian Mounted Rifles during the Second Boer War. Williams was promoted brevet colonel for his overseas service and appointed commandant of the Royal School of Cavalry in Toronto.
In 1907 he was appointed commanding officer of the Royal Canadian Dragoons and Inspector of Cavalry for the Dominion of Canada. In 1911 he commanded the mounted units at the Coronation of King George V. From 1912 to 1914 he was Adjutant-General at Ottawa.
He commanded Valcartier Camp, Quebec, during the mobilization of the 1st Canadian Division, and accompanied the contingent overseas.
During the war he served on the general staffs of Field Marshal Sir John French and the British II and III Corps. As a brigadier-general, he commanded the 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade of the 3rd Canadian Division from December 1915 to June 1916. He was mentioned in despatches on 30 April 1916 for gallant and distinguished services in the field
He was severely wounded and taken prisoner on June 3, 1916 during the Battle of Mont Sorrel.
He was released in a prisoner exchange before the end of the war. He returned to Canada in late 1918.
Mount Williams (2730 metres) in the Canadian Rockies on the border of Alberta and British Columbia was named in his honour in 1918. After the war, he was promoted major-general in command of Military District 2 based in Toronto.
He then commanded military districts in Kingston and Toronto.
He served as the Commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police from 1922 to 1939. He died in Sunnybrook Hospital, Toronto on December 12, 1949 and was buried in the Saint John"s Cemetery in Portuguese Hope.