Bachelor of Science, Juniata College, Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, 1929; Doctor of Science (honorary), Juniata College, Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, 1966; Doctor of Philosophy, Yale University, 1932.
Assistant instructor Juniata College, 1926-1929. Fellow Yale University, New Haven, 1932-1934. Research associate Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, 1934-1935.
Research chemist National Bureau Standards, Washington, 1935-1950, chief electrochemistry, 1950-1970, director Electrolyte Center, 1968-1972. Chemical consultant, from 2004. Adjunct professor Georgetown University, Catholic University, government agencies commerce and agriculture, 1940-1950.
Research chemist Manhattan Project, Washington, 1943-1945. Adjunct examiner Civil Service Commission, 1948-1950. Consultant United States Department Defense, 1951-1953.
Member electrochemical society International Union Pure and Applied Chemistry, 1958-1968. United States technical advisor primary cells and batteries International Electrotech. Commission, 1964; member visiting panel Electrochemistry Laboratory, University Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 1962-1963.
United States technical advisor primary cells and batteries International Electrotech. Commission, 1964; lecturer in field.
Fellow Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (life), American Association for the Advancement of Science (life), American Institute Chemistry (life), New York Academy of Sciences (life), Washington Academy of Sciences (life). Member American Standards Association (member committee primary cells and batteries 1952-1962), The Electrochemical Society, Inc. (honorary, vice president 1960-1963, president 1963-1964, Robert T. Foley award National Capital section 1991), Yale Chemists Association (president 1958-1961), Eisenhower Commission, Cosmos Club.
Married Alma Robinson, March 19, 1941. 1 child, Margaret.