He got a preparatory education at Drexel Institute prepared for an architectural career in study at the University of Pennsylvania.
During professional practice in Winston- Salem his firm designed the Hanlon Office Building, completed in 1914, the Baptist Hospital, and a number of public schools and churches in other cities in North Carolina. Northup began his architectural practice in 1906 and partnered with Leet Alexander O'Brien in 1915 or 1916. Luther Lashmit joined the firm in 1927. Member of the firm of Northup & O'Brien over a period of fifteen years and in active practice for more than two decades.