William Carr Lane Edit Profile
Born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania to Presley Carr Lane and Sarah "Sallie" Stephenson, Lane attended college in Pennsylvania and studied medicine in Louisville, Kentucky.
He was also the Governor of New Mexico Territory from 1852 to 1853. He entered the U.S. Army, and was appointed post surgeon at Fort Harrison on the Wabash River north of Terre Haute, Indiana in 1816. He resigned from the army in 1819 to enter private practice.
Their children were Anne Ewing Lane (1819–1904), Sarah L. Lane (1821–1887), and Victor Carr Lane (1831–1848). Lane served as St. Louis's first mayor from 1823 to 1829, when the city's population was around 4,000. He oversaw the first public health system in the city, free public schools, and street improvements, including the paving of Main Street.
Lane helped erect the city's first town hall. He was also instrumental in beautifying the city with fountains and greenery. The City Seal was adopted, and election procedures were written.
Perhaps the most memorable event in his term was a visit by Lafayette in 1825, and a ball given in his honor. Lane served again as mayor from 1837 to 1840. In 1852, President Millard Fillmore appointed him to be the new governor of the New Mexico Territory.
After this term, Lane returned to St. Louis and practiced medicine until his death in 1863. He was buried at Bellefontaine Cemetery. There is also a street in city of St. Louis named in his honor.
Served as surgeon’s mate at Fort Harrison during Creek War, 1813. Member Missouri Legislature (Democrat), 1826.
Married Mary Ewing, February 26, 1818.