William N. Goodwin, American judge. member firm Gordon, Goodwin, Sager & Thomas, Tacoma; member American, Wash.
Goodwin, William N. was born on August 17, 1909 in McKenna, Washington, District of Columbia, United States.
Born in McKenna, Washington, Goodwin received a B.A. from Washington State College in 1931 and an LL.B. from the University of Oregon Law School in 1934. He was a salesman in Washington from 1934 to 1937, until he became a deputy prosecutor for Pierce County, Washington from 1938 to 1940. He was the United States Attorney for the Western District of Washington from 1964 to 1966.
On March 21, 1966, Goodwin was nominated by President Lyndon B. Johnson to a new joint seat for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington and Western District of Washington, created by 75 Stat. 80. He was confirmed by the United States Senate on April 21, 1966, and received his commission the same day. He served as chief judge of the Eastern District from 1972 to 1973, and as chief judge of the Western District from 1973 until his death, in 1975.
He was in private practice in Tacoma, Washington from 1940 to 1964, also serving as a U.S. Marine Corps PFC during World War II, from 1944 to 1945, and becoming a member of the Board of Regents of Washington State University from 1957 to 1975.