Phd, Jagiellonian University, Cracow, 1960. Docent, Jagiellonian University, 1968.
From 1975-1981, he was the President of the International Association of Museums of Art and Military History. He lectured at the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow and at universities in the United States (in New York and Storrs, Connecticut).
Member Society Art Historians, Association Old Arms and Uniforms Amateurs, International Association Museum of Arms and Military History (honorary, member executive committee 1987), International Congresses Turkish Art, Polish Academy of Sciences (president scientific board Art Institute, 1984, member committee theory and history of art, 1969).
Married Ewa Voelpel, 1944. 1 child, Roman.