Chai-hsiang Wu studied at Tsing Hua College in 1912-1917. Then he entered University College of London in 1917.
In 1918 Mr. Wu served during the Great War in France, returned to the College after the Armistice in 1918 and graduated in 1921.
Chai-hsiang Wu was appointed assistant sectional chief in the Government Bureau of Economic Information and at the same time was instructor, lecturer and assistant professor at the Teacher’s College the University of Communications and the China University in Peking in 1922-1925. Then he was promoted to be assistant chief of the Department of Investigation and Research, Government Bureau of Economic Information in 1925.
He was made attache to the Customs Tariff Conference and later acting chief of the Section on Conference Minutes and was given Special Mention for meritorious service in 1925-1926. Mr. Wu worked as a secretary to the Commission of Foreign Affairs and concurrently section chief of the Bureau of Compilation and Translation in 1926, was a member of the Commission on the Education and Protection of Railway Workers, the Ministry of Communications in 1927, was in business in Tientsin 1927-1930.
He also occupied such positions as a secretary to the Department of Foreign Affairs, Headquarters of the Commander-in-chief of the Army, Navy and Air Forces in 1930, Chief Secretary to the Delegation of the National Government on secret mission to North China in 1931, Counsellor to the Commission of Military and Political Affairs to North China in 1931, Special Secretary (senior rank) of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the National (Government (Canton) in 1931, diplomatic representative of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the National Government in 1931, member of the Treaty Commission, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the National Government in 1932-1935, editor and publisher of China Voice in 1932. Chai-hsiang Wu also worked as a Special Inspector for Foreign Affairs Szechuan and Sikong provinces from 1935.