Mr. Chang graduated from the Paoting Military College in 1916.
After graduating from the College, he joined the army service and first participated in the National Pacification and Constitutional Defence Campaigns of the Southern Military Government under the the late Dr. SunYat-sen.
Later he successively served as commander of the Training Corps of Whampoa Military Cadets' College; chief of staff to the Headquarters of the Garrison Commander of Canton; chief of staff of the 2nd Division of the Revolutionary Army; director of the Adjutants' Office of the Commander-in Chief’s Headquarters of the Revolutionary Army.
Mr. Chang also occupied positions of Dean of the Wuhan Branch of the Central Military and Political Academy; director of the training department of the Commander-in-Chief’s Headquarters.
He was commissioned abroad by the National Government to study political and economic conditions and visited the leading countries in Europe and America and also Japan on return to China. Since return in 1928, he has served as director of the Military Administration Department of the Military Council; director of training department and later Dean of the Central Military Academy.
Later he was appointed concurrently Director of the Field Headquarters of the Commander-in-Chief at Wuhan, Commander of the 2nd Training Division. After the outbreak of the Sino-Japanese hostilities in Shanghai, 1932, he was appointed Commander of the 5th Army and concurrently Commander of the 87th Division which opposed the Japanese troops at Kiangwanchen and Miaohang-chen.
After conclusion of the war, he returned to his post as Dean of Central Military Academy at Nankins. In 1938 he was appointed Commander of the 4th Route Army of the Northern sector of the Bandit-suppression Forces of Hunan, Hupeh, Fukien, Kiangsi and Kwangtung. After the conclusion of the campaigns, he returned to the same post (Dean of C.M.A.)