Edward R. Taylor was a student of the National Training Course for Art Masters at South Kensington.
As an artist, Taylor created his artworks in both oils and watercolours. He produced a large number of portraits and landscapes.
Edward R. Taylor taught at the Lincoln School of Art (today part of the University of Lincoln). There amongst his students were Frank Bramley and William Logsdail. The artist became influential in the Arts and Crafts movement as the first headmaster at the Birmingham Municipal School of Arts and Crafts (now part of Birmingham City University's Faculty of Arts, Design and Media) from 1877 till 1903.
In December 1898, Taylor became a founder of Ruskin Pottery at Smethwick, Staffordshire. It was named after the artist, writer and social thinker John Ruskin.
Portrait of a child
Twas a Famous Victory
Footbridge at Birch Hill House, Mucklow Hill, Worcestershire
Mending the nets
Elegant Ladies By A Fountain
Birmingham Reference Library, the Reading Room
The Avon from Bideford
A portrait of a young girl
Lincoln Cathedral, Evening
Lincoln Cathedral, the Cloisters
On the look out for her boat
Lincoln Cathedral from the Witham
Portrait of Emily Mrs Meynell
Country House on a Lake at Sunset
Taylor became a member of the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists in 1879.
William Howson Taylor, born in 1876, was Taylor's son. His son took over Ruskin Pottery after the death of Edward R. Taylor. William Howson Taylor died in 1935.