Student, St. Henry's College, Belleville, Illinois, 1935-1938; Bachelor of Arts, St. Mary of the Lake Seminary, Mundelein, Illinois, 1940; Master of Arts, St. Mary of the Lake Seminary, Mundelein, Illinois, 1942; Licentiate of Sacred Theology, St. Mary of the Lake Seminary, Mundelein, Illinois, 1944; Licentiate of Philosophy, Aquinas Institute, River Forest, Illinois, 1960.
Ordained priest, Roman Catholic Church, 1944; bishop, Roman Catholic Church, 1971; assistant chaplain, Newman Foundation, University of Illinois, 1944-1959; executive director, National Catholic Rural Life Conference, Des Moines, 1960-1971; bishop of, Peoria, Illinois, since 1971. Director refugee resettlement Diocese of Peoria, 1948-1959. Chairman arbitration committee National Conference Catholic Bishops, 1973-1976.
Chairman priorities committee Peoria United Fund, 1972-1973. Board directors International Volunteer Services, 1960-1971. Trustee Catholic Relief Services, 1978-1980.
Chairman board American College Louvain, 1977-1980. Member of Knights of Columbus (4 degree).