Francis Makemie Edit Profile
He attended Glasgow University and went on to become a clergyman and be ordained by the Presbytery of Laggan, in West Ulster, in 1682.
At the call of Colonel William Stevens, an Episcopalian from Rehobeth, Maryland, he was sent as a missionary to America, arriving in Maryland in 1683. The first building, which was near the Pocomoke river, which was the chief means of travel in the 17th and early 18th centuries, was a log building. A frame building was erected next, a little further away from the water, and during the time the congregation worshiped in this building the current location was purchased and became the site of the cemetery.
The third building was of brick and was located on the high ground to the rear of the location of the present building. The remains of the foundation to that building were rediscovered in the late 1980s. The fourth and present building was constructed in 1889 and dedicated to the glory of God and in memory of Francis Makemie.
It is the only church in the country allowed to be so named. In addition he had a hand in founding churches in Salisbury, Princess Anne, Berlin and Pocomoke City as well as in two places in Virginia. Snow Hill was also to be the center of the Presbytery of Snow Hill, which was chartered by the General Assembly, but never activated.
Francis and Naomi had two daughters, Anne and Elizabeth. In 1706, he was instrumental in the founding of the first Presbytery in America. Makemie eventually went to the Eastern Shore of Virginia and founded a community there.
In 1707, Makemie was arrested by Lord Cornbury, the Governor of New York for preaching without a license. He was acquitted of the charges, and this is considered to be a landmark case in favor of religious freedom in America. Makemie died on the Eastern Shore of Virginia in 1708.
The camp is located between Williamsburg and Richmond, Virginia.
Married Naomi Anderson, before 1698, 2 children.