Francis E. Hyland Edit Profile
Bachelor of Arts, St. Charles Seminary, Philadelphia, 1923. Juris Canonici Doctor, Juris Civilis Doctor, Catholic U., Washington, 1928.
He served as Bishop of Atlanta, Georgia from 1956 to 1961. After attending Roman Catholic High School and at St. Charles Borromeo Seminary, he was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Michael Crane on June 11, 1927. He earned a doctorate in canon law from the Catholic University of America in 1928, and spent ten years as secretary to the Apostolic Delegation in Washington, D.C. He then served as pastor of the Church of Resurrection in Chester and of Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Philadelphia (1941–1949).
On October 15, 1949, Hyland was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Savannah-Atlanta, Georgia, and Titular Bishop of Gomphi by Pope Pius XII. He received his episcopal consecration on the following December 21 from Cardinal Dennis Dougherty, with Bishops Hugh L. Lamb and J. Carroll McCormick serving as co-consecrators, at the Cathedral-Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul. He selected as his episcopal motto: "Ad Jesum Per Mariam" (Latin: "To Jesus through Mary"). Hyland was named the first Bishop of the recently split Diocese of Atlanta on July 17, 1956.
He was formally installed at the Cathedral of Christ the King on November 8 of that year. After a five-year-long tenure, he resigned as Bishop due to ill health on October 11, 1961. Upon accepting his resignation, Pope John XXIII also appointed him Titluar Bishop of Bisica.
He later died at age 66.