He entered the local office of F. A. Gartner as an architectural student.
Mr Packard opened his first office in Columbus in 1896, and after two years of independent practice was associated for a subsequent period with the late Joseph Yost under the firm name of Yost & Packard. In 1900 he established an independent office and in designing many public and commercial buildings, got high professional reputation. His most important works were Memorial Hall, 1905; Elks Hall; Savings Bank & Trust Company, Huntington National Bank; the City Club, three hotels-the Chittenden, Seneca and the Virginia. Later works were the Baker Art Gallery, and the new North School, plans for the latter being prepared at the time of Mr. Packard's death.
In addition to his work in Columbus Mr. Packard designed the Ohio State Building at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition held in St. Louis, 1904; Annex to the State Capitol, Charleston, West Virginia; Girls' Industrial School, Delaware, Ohio; State Hospital at Lima; several buildings at the Ohio State University-Orton Hall, School of Mines, Hays Hall , Biology and Botany Building. He was associated with Leon Obewarth on work at the Capitol Hotel in Frankfort, Ky., and during President Harding's Administration was appointed architect in charge of the design and erection of the U. S. Embassy Building at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
An early member and Fellow of the American Institute of Architects, Mr. Packard was a past-president of the Columbus (O.) Chapter, also participated actively in civic matters, at one time president of the City Chamber of Commerce.