Masters formed a swing band after dropping out of Indiana University in the mid-20s. Frank had played the banjo and sang in a college band and had spent at least one summer playing his way back and forth to Shanghai, China aboard a cruise ship. In Chicago in 1925, he formed an orchestra and became the house act at the Sherman Hotel"s College Inn in Chicago.
Master of Computer Applications organized a sponsored radio show for the Masters band in about 1939.
lieutenant was broadcast first via WBBM-TV, later WMAQ and was called “lieutenant Can Be Done.” Also featured each week was poet-journalist Edgar Guest. Masters and company also made several movie shorts, which were shown in theaters nationally.
The first, in 1950, was a weekly show sponsored by Radio Corporation of America Victor called “Lucky Letters” on WBKB. Later that year and into early 1951, they had a weekly program called “Walgreen’s Open House.”
Then in the fall of 1974, when the famed Empire Room of the Palmer House reopened for the season, the Frankie Masters Orchestra became the new house band, replacing Ben Arden and his band, which had been appearing there since 1957.