He was trained in his youth for an architectural career and practiced several years in Germany before migrating to the United States.
It was about 1870 that Mr. Reader established residence in St. Louis, and opened an office for practice. In 1871 he was appointed Architect to the City School Board, and after two years in that position, in 1875 was chosen Professor of Architecture at Washington University, but due to lack of funds for the endowment of that Department, Mr. Raeder was not able to enter upon his duties. However he continued practice in the city, and won recognition as architect of St. John s Episcopal Church built at Olman and Hickory Street; Church of the Unity at the corner of Park and Armstrong, dating from 1879, and the Episcopal Orphans' Home on South Grand Avenue. Mr. Raeder also designed churches elsewhere in Missouri, one of note being the Congregational Church in Webster Groves.